State College Furnishing Alcohol to Minors Attorney

In a college town like State College, underage drinking occurs on a daily basis, and every underager was furnished with alcohol.  The vast majority of furnishing alcohol cases stem from police raids of Underage Drinking parties or from undercover officers working in liquor stores and six-pack shops in Cops-in-Shops types of programs.  While furnishing alcohol to a minor may frequently occur on a college campus like Penn State University, that does not mean that the resulting criminal charges are minor.  To the contrary, a person that furnishes alcohol is often charged with multiple misdemeanor offenses, including one charge called Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor under the Pennsylvania Crimes Code at 18 Pa.C.S.A. 6310.1 and a second charge called Unlawful Acts Relative to Liquor under the Liquor Code at 47 P.S. 4-493.  If more than one minor were furnished, those charges increase accordingly.  A person that is under the age of 21 can be charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor.

With the JD Law office being located in Centre County, State College criminal defense attorney Jason S. Dunkle has represented hundreds of people charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor and related criminal offenses who were students at Penn State University Park Campus in Centre County, Penn State Altoona Campus in Blair County, Lock Haven University in Clinton County, and Juniata College in Huntingdon County.

Will the Charge Appear on Background Searches? Most Likely

When the police investigate a furnishing incident, summary citations for Underage Drinking or Possession of Alcohol by a Minor are issued immediately, but the suspected furnisher is not charged or given any paperwork.  Because the offense is a misdemeanor, charges are normally filed a week or so after the incident, and the charges are mailed from the court to the suspect.  The paperwork that is received will include the charges for furnishing and also paperwork that require the person to be fingerprinted and have a mugshot taken.  Misdemeanor charges require the person to submit to fingerprinting and a mugshot.  If the charges are dismissed, then the person is able to file an expungement petition to have records of the incident removed from the Pennsylvania criminal background search databases.  Many people charged with furnishing may be eligible to participate in a pretrial diversionary program called ARD that would allow for the dismissal and expungement of the charges.

What Should I Do? Contact Our Attorneys Today

Given the severe consequences associated with a furnishing alcohol to minors charge, it is very important that you have a criminal defense attorney to advocate on your behalf and try to obtain the best resolution possible.  The attorneys at JD Law have extensive experience in handling furnishing alcohol to minors and alcohol related offenses.  If you or someone you know has been charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor, you should contact JD Law by email or by calling (814) 954-7622 or and schedule a FREE CONSULTATION with an experienced State College criminal defense lawyer.

For additional information, check out this Q&A for Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor.