Federal Firearm Prohibition Law

Can I possess or buy a gun?

The Second Amendment to the Constitution protects our right to “keep and bear arms.”  Article I, section 21 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution states: “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”  While the right to bear arms is clearly a constitutional right, that does NOT mean that the right is absolute.  Both Federal and Pennsylvania laws limit or restrict firearm sales and possession.  The primary Federal law, found at 18 U.S.C. 922(g) (1-9), makes it illegal for certain persons to possess or attempted to purchase a firearm.  The law is often strictly enforced, and people that are found to have violated the law could face up to 10 years in prison and fines into the hundreds of thousands, or worse, depending on the situation and their criminal record.

Do I Have to be Convicted of a Felony to Lose My Second Amendment Right?

Many people know that a felony record prevents a person from possessing a gun, but many people are not aware that misdemeanor convictions or drug use can also prohibit a person from possessing or buying a firearm.  The law also prohibits anyone:

Facing the Loss of Your Rights? Charged With Possession? Call Us

Whether you face the potential loss of your Second Amendment rights or you have been charged with possession as a prohibited person, we encourage you to contact JD Law for a free initial consultation with an attorney.  Call our State College criminal defense law firm at (814) 689-9139 or send us an email, and a lawyer will contact you.